2022 Big Island & Back: Winter
Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022
We had a successful return of the Big Island and Back winter event!
On Sunday, Feb. 6, we returned to the traditional winter course on Lake Minnetonka. Participants were able to cross country ski (classic or skate), snowshoe or bike the groomed course from Excelsior Beach around Big Island and back. After the race, everyone warmed up at Excelsior Brewing Company for the famous after party featuring live music, Joey Nova’s Pizza and door prizes from local merchants.
- 11:30 am–1:30 pm: Race day registration and packet pick up at The Lakes Running Company (218 Water Street, Excelsior, MN 55331)
- 1:50 pm: Pre-race instructions at Excelsior Beach (north end of First Street, Excelsior)
- 2 pm: Ski start (youth followed by adult classic then adult skate)
- 2:15 pm: Snowshoe start
- 2:30 pm: Fat bike start
- 3 pm: Pizza and live music at Excelsior Brewing Company
- 3:30 pm: Awards and door prizes
- 4 pm: Live music continues
We were excited that our winter events returned on the same weekend as the Lake Minnetonka Klondike Dog Derby. It made for a fun winter weekend on Lake Minnetonka!
All proceeds from Big Island and Back benefit charitable partners Freshwater and the ICA Food Shelf.