Be a Green Boater!
Enjoy your favorite summer hobby without damaging Minnesota’s waters.
- Prevent plants from hitchhiking: Learn how you can prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species on your boat and/or trailer to save our waters’ natural ecosystems.
- Whenever possible use environmentally friendly products on your boat. Be aware however that even these products can be harmful and concentrations should minimized. Select non-toxic, phosphate-free cleaners. Baking soda is an excellent non-toxic all-purpose cleaner.
- Take it slow. Proceed slowly in shallow areas to avoid disrupting the environment. Stirring up sediment affects the natural life cycle of plants and animals.
- Watch your wake. Boat wakes erode shorelines and damage habitat.
- Pour gasoline carefully and store it in a cool, dry place.
- Don’t let anything fall into the water unintentionally. Recycle and dispose of all litter after boating.
- Limit engine idling as much as possible.
· Be safe and have fun!